Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Classic crits

It's been a long time since have been involved, or even seriously interested in "live Theatre".

I sometimes have a squizz at the Arts pages in the local rag, and am always amazed at how YOUNG they are .. forgetting, of course, that I was 19 when first became seriously involved .. but haven't attended a live Theatre event for five years or so.

Have been trying to remember the name of the Theatre "critic" who wrote for the Adelaide "Sunday Mail" way back in the early 70's, but it escapes me. He was though, highly respected, as he wrote well, with apparent extensive background knowledge of how plays are produced and presented .. and if he didn't like it .. well .. he was absolutely correct - unlike some of the "daily" hacks who had to rush off and get something "knocked up" and printed before deadline [sometimes leaving before the last act, or crucial last ten minutes].

Can also remember that Pauline Kael was the international doyenne of Film criticism (review?) at the time.

This one has just caught my eye. Have no idea who Peter Burdon is .. but would list it among the "classics".

Will reprint it in full, can't find a direct link to it, but was printed in

Adelaide Advertiser, Arts, Tuesday July 17 2007.

[the bolding is mine, and hopefully have not altered the punctuation .. much].

Here’s a play; it may dismay.

Queen — Adapt Theatre.

Bakehouse Theatre.

Until July 21.


The cautious critic’s rule of thumb -
With plays that lack is to play dumb;
Remember that your hatchet jobs
Turn actors into angry mobs.

The publicist’s emotional rickets
May translate to a loss of tickets.
But though my head proclaims
“Desist!”
My heart temptation can’t resist,

And so, today, I vent my spleen
On Adapt Theatre’s dubious Queen;
But that the pill may be the sweeter,
I’ve cast my comments into metre.

Things have reached a pretty pass
When would-be surrealist farce
Falls flat, forgets to toe the line:
The laughs are mostly asinine.

Howard, Rudd, Saddam Hussein
Afford potential, but inane
And sometimes ill-delivered lines
Serve as anti-humour mines.

Mild smiles in this odd piece
For the King’s bedazzled codpiece.
Funny, too, the lusty parson,
Soul a candidate for arson,
Leading fair-haired boys astray:
Within the vestry, that he may
Their youthful innocence demolish
(And he’s sporting nail polish)

Ross Vosvotekas can create
A decent piece: Uphold was great.
Alas, with Queen I have a hunch
He’s bitten more than he can munch.

Peter Burdon.

3 comments:

Davoh said...

if somebody can figure out .. or through .. News.com .. let me know.

iODyne said...

oh I love rhyming slander !
thanks WomBatman

JahTeh said...

That's great. I have two books of Pauline Kael's reviews which I often refer to just to see if her criticism or praise have stood the test of time.