Monday, December 05, 2005

More Merry Christmasies

There are, of course, many ways to look at this season of Festivities. It has always struck me as odd to be celebrating what is essentially a "midwinter" Festival at the height of summer. To see a jolly gent dressed in fur trimmings, when the temperature is hovering around 35C (or somewhere near 100F), to see pine trees and windows covered with 'representative' snow. Most Australians have never seen snow. (and for those in the northern hemisphere who celebrate the return of the sun .. Yup, we will be getting sick of it soon, and you can have it back; it was only a borrow.)

However, in the spirit of Good Cheer, am posting this.

I pinched it from this feisty lady's blog
which is a veritable treasure trove of jokes. (and I thought that I'd seen them all.)

December 1 Memo FROM: Pat Lewis, Human Resources Director
DATE: December 1 RE: Christmas Party.
I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23, starting at noon in the banquet room at Luigi's Open Pit Barbecue. No host bar,but plenty of eggnog! We'll have a small band playing traditional carols...feel free to sing along. And don't Be surprised if our CEO shows up dressed as Santa Claus!

December 2 Memo FROM: Pat Lewis, Human Resources Director
DATE: December 2 RE: Christmas Party. In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognize that Hanukkah is an important holiday which often coincides with Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to employees who are celebrating Kwanzaa at this time. Happy now?

December 3 MemoFROM: Pat Lewis, Human Resources Director
DATE: December 3 RE: Holiday Party.
Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a nondrinking table ... you didn't sign your name. I'm happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads "AA Only" you wouldn't be anonymous anymore. How am I supposed to handle this? Somebody?

December 7 MemoFROM: Pat Lewis, Human Resources Director
DATE: December 7 RE: Holiday Party.
What a diverse company we are! I had no idea that December 2 begins the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating, drinking and sex during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees' beliefs. Perhaps Luigi's can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party the days are so short this time of year or else package everything for take home in little foil swans. Will that work? Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Overeaters Anonymous to sit farthest from the dessert buffet and pregnant women will get the table closest to the restrooms. Did I miss anything?

December 8 Memo FROM: Pat Lewis, Human Resources Director
DATE: December 8 RE: Holiday Party.
So December 22 marks the Winter Solstice...what do you expect me to do, a tap dance on your heads? Fire regulations at Luigi's prohibit the burning of sage by our "earth based Goddessworshipping" employees, but we'll try to accommodate your shamanic drumming circle during the band's breaks. Okay???

December 9 Memo FROM: Pat Lewis, Human Resources Director
DATE: December 9 RE: Holiday Party.
People, people, nothing sinister was intended by having our CEO dress up like Santa Claus! Even if the anagram of "Santa" does happen to be "Satan," there is no evil connotation to our own "little man in a red suit." It's a tradition, folks, like sugar shock at Halloween or family feuds over the Thanksgiving turkey or broken hearts on Valentine's Day. Could we lighten up?

December 10 Memo FROM: Pat Lewis, Human Resources Director
DATE: December 10 RE: Holiday Party.
Vegetarians!?!?!? I've had it with you people!!! We're going to keep this party at Luigi's Open Pit Barbecue whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death," as you so quaintly put it, and you'll get your freaking salad bar, including hydroponic tomatoes. But you know, they have feelings too. tomatoes scream when you slice them i've heard them scream i'm hearing them scream right now!

December 14 Memo FROM: Teri Bishops, Acting Human Resources Director
DATE: December 14 RE: Pat Lewis and Holiday Party.
I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Pat Lewis a speedy recovery from her stress related illness and I'll continue to forward your cards to her at the sanatorium. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd off with full pay.We hope that this change does not offend anyone.



13 comments:

Peter said...

I certainly wouldn't be offended Davo!!

PhilippinesPhil said...

I spent my high school years in the snow state of Michigan. I have to admit that it IS much easier to get in the Christmas spirit when the weather matches the occasion (or at least the Christmas songs, e.g. White Christmas, Jingle Bells, The Christmas Song, etc.); BUT, I'm quite happy here in the tropics doing the Christmas season in balmy weather under palm trees. I've seen more than my share of snow; shovelled it, skidded around in it in a car, and finally cursed at it in March (and sometimes April!). I'm satisfied getting by on my "delicious" memories of it. In a nutshell--Cold weather sucks! The nasty winters is one of the few things I DON'T miss about my home state. Merry Christmas Davo and to all a good night.

Davoh said...

Hi again Phil. In this polyglot festival that is now known as 'Christmas'.. will stay with tradition and wish you, and all yours
MERRY CHRISTMAS May the blessings of Peace, Love and Goodwill to all be upon you.

Granny said...

Christmas Greetings from Ann of "Is America Burning" and "rocrebelgranny". Worried American and I have been talking to each other on "America". It's great to hear from someone. You're my second commenter from Australia (the other one is over on "Granny" which is more of a personal journal - little of this and a little of that).

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

My country suffers from apathy. I don't see any other way to explain it. The truth is in front of our faces. Corruption, lies, venality. We went from being one of the most respected countries in the world to one of the most despised.

Those of us who protest are accused by the reactionary media of treason. It doesn't stop us but it's disheartening in this "Land of the Free"

I've been trying to draft something about the glimmers of hope I've noticed lately but haven't been able to pull it together without recycling quotes. The glimmers are there in the recent indictments of some of our more notorious politicians and the steep drop in popularity of our leader.

Thanks for writing. If you have an opportunity, check out my other blog. I have a lot more to say over there.

Oh, great post on the semi-colon and lovely photos. I'll read further when my eyes aren't crossing.

Unknown said...

Hello Davo, thank you for commenting on Granny's and my blog, Is America Burning.She is correct about the apathy. People sit around and whine and complain but won't get off their duffs and do anything, and meanwhile our nation is going down in flames.

Got a rueful chuckle from the joke about the Christmas Party. I needed a laugh and I thank you for it. I could relate to the lady's problem. For many years I have been Director of our family reunion, quite a diverse lot, and trying to please all about drives me to the sanitorium.

Although I have friends from many nations, you are the first non-American to comment on our blog. Granny has a number of friends from other nations who visit her rocrebelgranny blog. It is good to have a visit and a read from our neighbors around the world. Nationality not withstanding, we are all just folks.

Back in the day I spent some time in Australia, primarily on the west coast, and I loved it. Was so sorry I didn't get to stay the planned 3 full years. It is a fascinating country, lovely people, and a most fascinating geological history. Wow! Flora and fauna equally fascinating. Can you tell I was 'fascinated"?

Give us a visit again. You are very welcomed.

Mother Sharon Damnable said...

Love an stuff

X Sharona X

Linda Jones Malonson said...

Ha ha ha .. Yes! I read this and was rolling on the floor laughing. Someone sent it to me in email. Thanks for posting it again, I had planned to.

By the way, the photo of you looks very classic ... and handsome. Now don't let it go to your head. LOL

Davoh said...

Hi granny and worried, welcome to Australia. I don't have time to write much about the dire state of politics that seems to gripped Aust as well as America, but most of my 'aussie' links will give you some idea .. especially Road to Surfdom, Guambat Stew and diogenesian discourse.

Anyway, am putting thoughts of all that aside temporarily, and focussing on the
"Peace, Love, fellowship and goodwill" aspects of the season. So,
MERRY CHRISTMAS

and AWWW shucks, LP. Love and best wishes to you and your family.

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

12 09 05

Ha ha ha ha ha Davo: You got me laughing my tushy off at work!! What gives? Therein lies the problem with trying to accomodate too many cooks in the kitchen.....And I will have to leave it at that before I say somthing stupid!!! Merry Christmas to you too. I also noticed you were a Scorpio. Happy Late Birthday!!! Mine was November seventh and I am twenty nine:) Randomly rambling, sorry! Wombats Waffles have a nack for making me do so:) Have a good day:)

Unknown said...

I don't know why our Aussie year can't run July to June. I went to my daughter's primary school graduation last Wednesday and the temperature was in the high 30s.

Once you open your prezzies, Christmas Day is one big pain in the bum! Too hot for all the food and other so-called festivities. Bah humbug!

It would make a LOT more sense to have all these sort of functions in June!

Davoh said...

Ron, there is a notion in South Aust that we should take a closer look at the aboriginal 'calender of seasons' rather than the strictly European '4'; but doubt that it would take on.. at least not soon.
Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Davoh said...

Redneck Granny, your site is a gem. Thankyou, and Merry Christmas.

EDITORS: Ghost Rider said...

Davo.....nice blog...just sitting here in the great Pacific Northwest, and thought I might pay you a visit and say hello, while listening to one of my favorite internet radio station...yes by'e right out of Foggy Hollow Australia.....www.bluegrasscountry.org some mighty fine pickin' and grinin' going on let me tell you...