Saturday, November 05, 2005

How fast can I go?

Such is my cynicism about any sort of contact with the half-wit idiots that populate the kindergarten playground called parliament, I didn't actually send this letter. This was my second fine for the same "offense". Yesterday however, I was "trapped" again, and THIS time it will find itself in the Mailbox. It is a blatant "revenue raising" excercise. Where once the "speed" limit in suburban areas was a consistent 60Kph, they now range from 40Kph to 80 Kph. (40Kph is roughly 25Mph)

It is possible to be travelling on a 60Kph road, cross an intersection, then find oneself on a 50Kph road. There is no real warning, as the 'rules' are that all roads are 50Kph IF THERE IS NO SIGN SAYING OTHERWISE.

The sneaky baskets park on the side of these roads in late model UNMARKED vehicles with tinted windows, use hidden cameras, and the only way one knows they've been active is when the letter arrives in the mail several weeks later. Bah! Humbug!

(enc.)
The Hon Trish White MP.
Minister for Transport, Urban Development and Planning
136 North Terrace
ADELAIDE SA 5000

Dear Ms White,
While I presume I will have to pay the enclosed fine of $154.00 for travelling at 46Kph - I do so only under strong protest.

I consider it to be a complete and utter INSULT to my excellent record and ability as a safe and competent driver - especially as this was hardly a conscious attempt to flout the speed limit.

Firstly, I have held a driver’s licence for 44 years - initially in South Australia, then 9 years in Victoria and 11 years in Queensland. I returned to South Australia in 1999 and since then have operated a business that requires me to spend all day, 6 days a week on the road driving between customers.

I have NEVER, in those past 25 years caused so much as a DENT OR SCRATCH - either to my own vehicle, or anybody else’s vehicle or property - much less a major bingle.

Any sensible, reasonable and intelligent person would assume that I drive in a manner - and at a speed - that ensures the safe passage of my vehicle.

Secondly, Angas Road Xxxxxxxx is a four lane road. (two central through lanes and two full width parking lanes on either side.) It is NOT a major through road, and carries little traffic. The speed limit on this road is 40 Kph !!
Grange Road Xxxxxxxx however (one street over and parallel to Angas Rd.) has two narrow lanes, IS a through road, carries frequent traffic, and parked cars often block the throughway. THIS road has a speed limit of 50 Kph.
Similarly Xxxxxx Road Wxxxxxxxx has only two lanes, frequent parked cars, is a MAJOR through road, carries heavy traffic - and has a speed limit of 60 KPH!

Can someone tell me if there is intelligent or sensible logic in having Angas Rd. at 40 Kph??

It can be argued that statistically, the slower speeds reduce property damage and injury in motor vehicle accidents. WHY, then, does the government not take that logic seriously and legislate to have a person carrying a red flag WALK in front of each and every vehicle? This is not without precedent, but is about as absurd and nonsensical as fining someone - with my driving record - demerit points and $154 for travelling at 46 Kph on a quiet four lane road.

My vehicle - even with trailer attached - rolls at 50 Kph with the merest pressure on the accelerator and the “feel” of the difference in speed between 40 and 50 Kph is barely discernible. Speed limits change frequently from 25, 40, 50, 60, 70.. up to 100 and 110 Kph.
Is it the intention of this government to force me to drive with my eyes glued to the speedometer? My logic tells me that this would increase my chances of collision, (something that I have avoided all these years) - when natural instinct tells me to keep my eyes and attention constantly on the road and traffic around and ahead, rather than spend time peering at the dashboard or searching for speed signs which are frequently obscured by street foliage.


I find it somewhat peculiar, with reminders of hypocrisy, to note that when I had my car, trailer and equipment stolen recently, Police response was extremely tardy (the excuse was ‘lack of staff’) and yet when I travel at 46Kph on a 40Kph road - which I consider extremely trivial considering the circumstances - there is always a police officer with a metaphorical cash register lurking not far away.


Thirdly, I gain my income from servicing a certain number of customers per day. These customers do not generally live on roads with a 60 Kph speed limit. Since the reduction in speed limits within suburban streets, am finding that am not able to service as many customers, and my income suffers.

Why then, am I not able to apply for a reduction in registration to compensate for loss of income due to speed limits when - in fact - I am charged extra to operate my vehicle commercially??

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxx February, 2005

CC to -
The Hon Michael Atkinson MP Minister for Justice.
The Hon Paul Holloway MLC Minister for Small Business.
The Hon Malcolm Buckby MP Shadow Minister for Transport.
Mr Martin Hamilton-Smith MP Member for Waite
The Editor, Advertiser Newspapers Pty Ltd.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate the way good citizens are made to feel like criminals. When are we going to rise up against the revenoo mean and women?

Anonymous said...

Too true, EC. There is something .. well .. "unfair" going on when they seem to be rolling in moolah, while the rest of us peons battle with ridiculous rules - and banks - who seem to have caught an infection called 'usury' and 'extortion'.